Although I had problems with the pelvis of the model and that it had come apart from the legs. I decided to carry on with the model so that when I get help with the problem I still have a full model ready.
The tutorial started me back off creating the hands. I started by extruding certain points of the hand and using the vertex to create different shapes until I had created a basic hand shape (kind of like how I did the feet.
I then separated the first finger from the model by selecting Mesh>Extract to separate the finger so that I could copy over and shape the other fingers so I did not have to waste to much time extruding and shaping.
After this I went on to combine all the fingers to the main object and attached them to the main mesh using Mesh Tool> Append to polygon.
After that all I had to do was straighten and clean some of the parts of the mesh.
Doing this also made me re visit what I had done earlier with the broken pelvis. I decided to try and do what I had done with the fingers using the Mesh tool>Append to polygon. So I found the breaks and the parts that overlapped, deleted them and re attached them using the append tool. And luckily it actually worked. So I smoothed the model and added a shaded colour to it so you could see this process.
After I had sorted this out I started to add extra edge loops so that when it came to rigging the model it would have more joints to mend to.
The Last part of this now was checking over and smoothing the body. I had to smooth the neck and shape it and I also did the same with the shoulders. After this I smoothed it once more and I was happy with it.
To finish it off I went to duplicate special, created a copy of the right side (mirrored) and combined the two objects together.
The biggest thing I learned doing this is not to stop doing something just because its inconvenient. With the groin/ pelvis problem I managed to find a solution and used that to fix my current problem.